10. After the hosts enjoys the snacks and before the study begins, your host turns out the lights and goes to bed.
9. The guest missionary invited to your group for a five-minute update from the field says, “God has laid it on my heart to share a detailed exposition from 1 Chronicles, chapters 1-9.”
8. Two members are screaming at each other over who’s going to open the meeting in prayer.
7. Everyone is in the kitchen divided into two groups chanting angrily at each other: “Regular!” “Decaff!” “Regular!” “Decaff!”
6. Before offering any answers, members Google the leader’s questions on their iPhone.
5. Each time the leader asks for input, someone responds, “What was the question?”
4. As prayer requests are shared, someone starts singing “Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘Round the Old Oak Tree.”
3. Group members ignore the leader’s plea “How ’bout we get started?” and head outside for a game of flag football.
2. The leader closes the evening in prayer, then opens their eyes to find everyone in the kitchen eating…again.
And, the number one sign your small group needs improvement is……
1. When the evening ends a fist-fight breaks out over whether to watch Leno or Letterman.
Special thanks to Wayne Loden and Len Woods for providing the framework for my examples at SmallGroups.com.
If your small group is struggling, see my Best Practices for Small Groups.