Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
- Jesus does not simply show the way, but claims He is the way.
- Jesus does not say “none among you” but says “no one”
- The definite article repeated before “way,” “truth,” and “life” is an emphatic means of saying that all others who make this claim are false.
- Jesus is the way because: He is the Truth of God (Jn. 1:14, 18; Jesus exegetes God and is God’s final self-revelation) and He is the Life of God (Jn. 1:4; 5:26; 11:25; 1 Jn. 5:20)
- Therefore, because Jesus is God’s Truth and Life He is the only way to God. Consequently, it is entirely wrong for someone to say they know God based upon some other religious preference that dismisses or contradicts the claims of Jesus.
- Other religions are wholly ineffective at bringing people to God in a personal relationship. “No one comes to the Father except/unless/if not by me.”
- This exclusive claim is the necessary presupposition behind all biblically faithful evangelistic efforts.