What follows is a vision and values statement for a new kind of church (fictitious of course) and would really like some feedback here. Over the next few posts I’ll cast a mission and strategy, where I hope to get some chatter going on those topics as well.
Please take time and provide comments answering the question: “If I were to land on a website of a new church in my community with the info below, what do I see that is attractive? What issues raise concerns or additional questions that I would ask?”
(See also, Ray Ortlund’s A little foolishness.)
We envision a new kind of church where . . .
- It’s OK to ask questions or explore the claims of Christianity
- The Gospel is thoughtfully, intentionally, and lovingly shared with those who are sincerely seeking God
- Devotion to God’s Word (the Bible) moves increasingly from learning it to loving it to living it
- True delight and happiness are found in seeing the image of Christ formed in others
- Worship is an authentic response to our ever-increasing love for Jesus
- Dependence upon God in prayer is a daily reality
- Fellowship results from deepening and maturing relationships
- Spiritual disciplines are intentionally integrated into all of life
- Outreach to the disenfranchised and poor is actively and compassionately pursued
- A global concern for God’s work in the world generates creative and strategic involvement
If these values capture your interest, then we invite you to browse around
and consider contacting us. Whatever your background, our doors are always open to you.