When Reading Scripture: 7 Questions
- Who — Who is speaking? Who is the audience? Who is being spoken about?
- What — What is being said or not being said? What is the overall idea the author has in mind? Ask, “What is the passage talking about?” and “What is the passage saying about what it is talking about?”
- When — Are there any time references in the passage? Do the verb tenses give any idea as to when something has happened, is happening or will happen?
- Where — Where will an event or change take place? Is there a reference to a particular change in location?
- Why — Are there reasons given for an appeal the author is making? Does the author state his purpose for writing?
- How — Is there a means by which such and such will take place? If the text says I’m to do something, does it explain how it is to be done? Is there a basis upon which something has happened in the past?
- How much — Are there any references to quantity or quality?