The number 1 reason to be Anglican?
“You get to be both Catholic and Protestant.” Michael Bird
Cute! At least, I thought it was. If you know Michael Bird, you get it. If you don’t, you should … know Michael Bird.
The following outline frames a confirmation class I had the privilege to lead at Christ Our Life Anglican Church, a member of The Diocese of Churches for the Sake of Others (C4SO). The material covers a variety of topics including, the gospel message, the importance of tradition, the meaning of the sacraments, along with extended discussion on the significance of baptism and holy communion, the purpose of liturgy and the sacramental life, a blurb on Anglican history, the relevance of the Creeds, Book of Common Prayer, and the Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion.
Links are to my extended notes for each session unpacking the topics mentioned. If interested in learning more about Anglicanism, see the list of sources in the suggested reading, many of which informed my findings.
Session 1: Anglican Foundations DOWNLOAD/PRINT
- Where to Begin? An Introduction to Anglican Confirmation
- What is the Meaning and Significance of Anglican Confirmation?
- Sessions Overview
- What Is the Gospel?
- The Problem of Sin, The Role of Faith, The Importance of Repentance
- Our Union with Christ; Our Belonging to One Another
- What Is the Foundation for Anglican Belief?
- Scripture, Reason, Tradition
- The Creeds; Thirty-nine Articles of Religion; Book of Common Prayer
Session 2: Anglican Belief & Practice DOWNLOAD/PRINT
- Anglican Belief
- How Do the Creeds and Thirty-nine Articles of Religion Help Us?
- Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds: Some highlights
- Distinctives of the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion
- Anglican Practice
- The Sacraments: Meaning & Significance
- Communal Aspects of the Sacraments: “Life Together” [see my essay, “A Meditation on the Holy Eucharist“]
Session 3: Anglican Liturgy and the Sacramental Life DOWNLOAD/PRINT
- What Is the Value of a Liturgical Life?
- Habituation: The Means
- Formation: The Goal
- What Other Practices Are Useful for Growth in Faith?
- Prayer, Lectio Divina, Liturgical Calendar [see video]
- Others that have helped you?
- How Can I See All of Life through a Sacramental Lens?
- In relationships and circumstances
- In nature and “signals of transcendence”
Session 4: The Anglican Way at Christ Our Life DOWNLOAD/PRINT
- Anglican History: A Brief Overview
- How Do the Values of Christ Our Life Shape Us in the Anglican Way?
- Recap & Summation